Book Progress

With my manuscript submission deadline fast approaching, I have managed to find some time to continue working on my monograph for Palgrave Macmillan, mainly in the rare moments when both children are asleep at the same time.

One of my priorities has been to rework some of the visual content from the thesis. In some cases this just involves tweaking the formatting but in a few places I have reimagined and redrawn the pages from scratch.

One example is from chapter 4 where I use Deleuze and Guattari’s (1987) concept of the ‘Body without Organs’ (BwO). I was not entirely happy with the image I drew to represent this concept in the thesis, and had managed to work on something I was a lot happier with. I have also reworked this alongside the text describing my use of the concept as a tool for thinking, rather than leaving it as a stand-alone image. In this and other cases, the use of multiple stages afforded by the comic approach helps to break down – and even slow down – the narrative in order to encourage the reader to linger on a concept or idea in a way that the author does not control using a standard paragraph.

Another single page reimagining comes in relation to another of Deleuze and Guattari’s concepts: ‘the plane of consistency’. Here, the redrawing comes because I didn’t feel that the original version of this page flowed properly. So here I have simplified, removing the ‘talking head’ version of me that felt like a bit of an unnecessary distraction, going with a different perspective on the ‘row of doors’ that puts the reader head-on, rather than at an angle to the scene. You’ll notice that the central door in frame two features an small section cut from the BwO image used above. Through the book, in the comic sections, I refer to previous and forthcoming visual motifs as a way of tying things together. Of course, it also means I have less drawing to do, which helps: I still find drawing really tricky, but also rewarding when things go right. I did try a version of this with the rhizome creeping out of the door, but it looked a bit too threatening, so I kept it in its ‘potential’ state instead!

The following two pages are reimaginings of what was previously a single page from the Soundscapes chapter. Writing this for my thesis originally I remember being really stumped for ideas for this bit. However, I needed this section to be in the comic format as a bridge between the pages before and after. Therefore, I originally settled for a simple idea that I felt didn’t really justify its own existence. Coming back to this section I had some new ideas, which worked pretty quickly and spread this section across a much more appropriate double page spread. Again, the BwO / rhizome image makes another appearance in a couple of forms and I also reuse a hand picture from chapter four, whilst also introducing some additional elements. I’m much happier with how this flows now, as it has a better pace to it and I think the visuals are much more useful in making the points. (There’s still a typo in one of the images below, which I’ve now corrected elsewhere! Sharing stuff is always useful for spotting mistakes!) And although you wouldn’t know it, the spiral started life as a doodle around reading Spinoza… Everything hangs together, in the background…

Finally, another new comic comes early on in the book where I introduce the (human and non-human) participants. In the thesis I used photographs and screenshots, obviously obscuring the images of children in the way I do in the data transcripts. However, I felt that an illustrated approach would work better, but was something I ran out of time for when it came to the thesis. I find drawing people REALLY hard, so these look very little like the children they represent. Of course, this is useful for anonymisaton purposes, and I think the spirit of the drawings is much more in keeping with the feeling of the club than a series of obscured photographs.

This post only deals with some of the changes I have made visually, but I hope it goes some way to justifying (if only to myself) some of the alterations I have made in making the transition from thesis to book. Although I have been pressed for time, I have enjoyed rethinking these comic sections in a way that I don’t think I would have done if I was dealing just with written text.

2 thoughts on “Book Progress

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s